Sunday 6 May 2012

Radio meteor detection

OK so its been a while since I posted up here...

I've been busy with work, children and other distractions resulting in a neglected blog :(

There are a few projects on the go at the moment, but I'm going to put up some details on detecting meteors using a PC sound card, a handheld radio scanner and some wires :)

The end results look a bit like this:


These screens are generated by SpecLab. The bright blobs on the top left are meteor trails. There is a great website here that explains what the blobs might mean. Basically, anything travelling left-right is showing a doppler shift (ie speeding up or more likely for a meteor - slowing down). Anything that appears in a vertical line is persistent over time. The vertical bands are radio interference (I think!) Occasionally there are tracks that might be satellites, but to be honest I don't really know!

More to come on how this was put together...

No comments:

Post a Comment